Miss Mary Phillips’ dream sparked the Home for Aged Women, incorporated in 1874. Lysander Strickland’s efforts lead to the organization of the Home for Aged Men in Bangor in 1903. In 1975, the Boards of Managers of the two homes concluded that consolidation of accommodations and services into a single, modern building could strengthen and improve both programs.
Both residents and corporate members of the two homes agreed to name the new facility the Phillips-Strickland House. The structure opened for occupancy in January 1977. In 2000, Boyd Place at PSH created 33 apartments for independent seniors not needing direct care.