It was Miss Mary Phillips whose dream sparked the Home for Aged Women, incorporated in 1874. Lysander Strickland's efforts are credited with the organization of the Home for Aged Men in Bangor in 1903.
In 1975, the Boards of Managers of the two homes concluded that a consolidation of accomodations and services into a single, modern building would strengthen and improve both programs.
Both residents and corporate members of the two homes agreed that the most appropriate name for the new facility would be Phillips-Strickland House. The structure was ready for occupancy in January, 1977.
In 2000, Boyd Place at PSH was created with 33 apartments for independent seniors not needing direct care.